Thursday, April 16, 2009

We Loved Zions

We went to Zions during Spring break and it was such a fun get away for us. Katee wanted to hike to the top of Angels Landing. She is quite a hiker, she was ahead of us most of the time.
In this picture, the top of that mountain by my head is Angels Landing.
It is a five mile hike round trip.
We stopped for lunch and had a beautiful
view of the valley.




The river you see at the bottom of this picture is the Virgin River.
It is kind of gray looking. I think it is from all the sand and silt in it.
Someone else stuck their camara down by these flowers and took a picture so when they walked away I did the same thing. Pretty good shot!



One of the canyons we could see on our way up all the switch backs.
It was so much prettier in person

At a certain point you start using chains to help you get up the steep parts of the hike.
I like this picture of Gene and Katee.



The last half mile of the hike was so long.
We thought it must be a half mile as the crow flies.
Becaise it sure seemed further than just a half mile.
Especially on the way back my legs were shaking.



This is a good picture showing why you need to hold on to the chains as you are hiking across the top of the mountain. It got a little bit scary hiking through here.

But as you can see, we made it to the top and we could all smile about it. What a view! You could see the road and the little tiny shuttle buses that look like toys.


This is our Katee on the hike back down. She still looks as cute as ever. She was none worse for the wear and she said she wanted to go again the next day.

We camped free by the virgin river about eight miles from Zions. What a beautiful place. The ground was sandy so we played frisbie in bare feet. We played horse shoes. We roasted marshmellows and had songs and stories by the camp fire. We also got to know really nice families and invited them to our campfires. I think they really appreciated us.The next day we hiked back to the beginning of the Narrows hike. It in itself is so beautiful. I imagine getting up in the narrows will be amazing. We are taking the Laurels on a high adventure trip to do the narrows in JuLy.
Katee practicing her next top model poses.


3 comments:

Jeff said...

That looks like tons of fun. I've never been to the top of Angel's Landing. I wimped out when we got to the chains part.

pawlyandsandy said...

Wow I'm impressed you went all the way to the top!! I thought the chain part would be too scary for mom and katee, but you guys are tough! That's awesome!

Carol said...

Your photos are great! We need to go together sometime! I have to admit that your pictures made me sad about the loss of mine. I'm glad you guys had a great time.